Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 Large eggplant
- approx ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley to garnish
- Remove the green from around the neck of the eggplant, but leave the stem. Place in a hot oven until soft - approx 15-20 minutes - or hold onto stem and place over open grill or hotplate, turning from time to time until eggplant has softened. Allow to cool.
- Remove the skin carefully, while holding the stem. Mash the pulp thoroughly with a fork or place in the blender and slowly beat in lemon juice alternately with tahini.
- Crush garlic with salt and mix to a paste. Blend into the eggplant mixture. Adjust salt.
- Pour into shallow serving dishes or platters and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve with Arabic bread.
Preparing Baba Ganoush